2013/02/11

Weekend review

Friday I woke up afraid I might be coming down with strep and as only an Oklahoman named Sweet Brown could say so well "ain't nobody got time for that" so I went to work and courteously warned everyone to stay at least 8 feet away from me. After work I picked Annie up from school and we came home and made sugar cookies because a good cookie solves a multitude of problems.

We then babysat my cute little niece Brynn while Annie broke in her mermaid dress-up outfit. This outfit was something she had been requesting for awhile and when it came up as a deal on Amazon, I thought, "why not?"  I'll tell you why not, that one wearing shed more (sequin) scales than Daryl Hannah at the end of the movie Splash, and that has not been the only wearing throughout the weekend.  Oh well, you win some, you lose some (as far as costumes go, as a housekeeper I'm on the losing end, every time she puts the Sleeping Beauty outfit on we have glitter adorning every surface she comes in contact with, but she loves the way she looks in it and there are few things better than seeing her face when she feels like a princess).

Which led us into Saturday where I spent parts of the day picking up sparkly purple and green sequins.  It also consisted of laundry, short periods of study, and finishing up and mailing Annie's valentines at the post office that will soon no longer deliver mail on Saturdays (another late breaking news update).  Not really an exciting day but a welcome break from the activity of the week and the Cowboys won so there was happiness throughout the land.

Sunday consisted of church, roast, homework and studying, life group, and Downton Abbey.  This is the only show I watch on a regular basis or keep up with at all unless you count the Fraiser re-runs I turn on at night.  Let me tell you this show has had me on an emotional roller coaster since I began watching it a little over a month ago.  Yes, Philip and I have a tendency to consume a TV series about every three years or so in the course of a week (or in the case of this one a weekend) and we caught up with this one just prior to (and actually we were about an episode behind) the third season starting.

We don't watch a lot of TV at our house and this is the perfect show to indulge in.  If you don't watch it and you are interested in high society in England in the early 1900's then this is the show for you.  If you are interested in the life of a servant of high society in England in the early 1900's then this is the show for you.  If you like to see how three sisters can be completely different then this is the show for you. If you like to hear an older woman pass judgement and speak her mind freely then this is the show for you.  If you like to sit on the couch on Sunday evenings and enjoy the final moments of the weekend then this is the show for you.

I will not get in to descriptions of the great characters or epic scenes because in years to come I'm not going to look back at memories and wonder about Downton Abbey but it is the perfect way to end our weekend.  Sundays are fun because we get challenged and encouraged through church and life group, generally enjoy some downtime together, and then close out it watching a good show that we don't have to mute when Annie is in the room or cover her eyes.

On to Funday Monday....with what thankfully is not strep but certainly is a persistent head cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers